Don't you hate it when *this* happens?
"Fidel Castro's crocodile bites man at Swedish aquarium
A man has been hospitalised after he was bitten by a crocodile that once belonged to Cuban leader Fidel Castro.
The man, in his 70s, had been attending a crayfish party at the Skansen Aquarium in Stockholm on Tuesday.
According to police, the man had his "arm on the wrong side of the security glass" when he was bitten."
Eventful morning: part 4 (last episode)
6. Firmly but calmly ask kid to play in kid's room. (Wife wakes up, realizes something is going on)
7. Back to kitchen, clean up on countertop. Wife cleans soap off of appliances and chair.
9. Mop the floor & repeat with new water five times before bubbles are gone. Wife makes coffee.
11. Sit down in couch with kid and have a long pedagogical talk.
12. Update kitchen hazard prevention plan.
13. Wife points out that coffee tastes soapy.
Eventful morning: part 3
9. The chair is covered in foam and so is the kitchen floor.
10. A soaking wet beam detector (also assumed to be our of reach for even the most adventurous 3yo) lies in a foamy puddle.
I put on my grumpy face and initiate the hazard management program:
1. Remove kid from kitchen
2. Move wet items to sink
3. Grab a wash cloth
4. Notice a trail of soapy footprints leading away from kitchen (!)
5. Put kid in tub and wash thoroughly.
Eventful morning: part 2
3. Spray bottle which I filled with dishing soap about a week ago, now only containing bubbles.
4. A half eaten crisp bread (not so crisp anymore due to )
5. My favorite recipe collection, several pages about to fall out, the others soaking wet.
6. A raised part of the counter has a foamy puddle.
7. Bread kneading machine (unplugged) drenched in foamy water.
8. A kitchen knife (!) removed from its stand and easily within arms reach from kid.
Eventful morning: part 1
Woke up to the cries of a 3yo in need: "go down!". Forced myself out of bed, made a quick scan of the living room: nothing.
Came into the kitchen to find:
1. A tall chair next to the kitchen counter and my kid sitting on the counter top.
2. An open jar of cookies, skillfully removed from to shelf (I'd assumed this to be far out of reach even if said kid would manage to climb the counter)
Final try before it ends up in the trash:
1) paint over the address sticker with permanent marker
2) cover any suspicious barcodes (permanent marker again)
3) cover the remaining white space on the front of the letter with a long but polite message, asking the postal service to return the letter to the sender.
Hopefully this will confuse the robots enough for this letter to require the attention of an actual human :-)
I keep getting the same letters addressed to a former resident.
The first time I simply crossed over the address. The postal service simply put a new address sticker over my changes and sent it back to me.
The second time i added a note saying the addressee has moved and crossed out the address. Fast forward three days and the letter of back in my mailbox, a new address sticker on top of the old one (!)
Further science #classroom rant...
I requested fixed lab tables for safety reasons, but that is out of the question since it involves drilling through the fancy new floor.
Smaller table groups with more spacing (so that the teacher can easily move around and actually reach all pupils during class) won't work unless tables are screwed to the floor. (The landlords won't object about small tables but I don't think the school would approve of all the broken equipment from bumped/toppled tables)
Some issues with the new science #classrooms which worry me:
We can't integrate power outlets in the new tables, because the landlords refuse to run cables through their fancy new floor.
Cables hanging from the ceiling are fine but a winch system to get them out of the way is not.
I hope I was clear enough when explaining for the orderer power is required for lab equipment and not just laptops, therefore outlets can not be placed at ceiling height.
With the start of the autumn semester drawing near, I'm pretty curious about our science #classrooms which have been renovated over summer. I ran through several proposals with the rest of the staff before summer but all my suggestions were ruled out for various reasons.
#garden update: I thought one of my beans didn't germinate, turns out it only had a poor sense of direction. (Best of luck little fellow!)
Leap forward to week 2: Finished all the beds I had planned. Took plenty of brakes, but made a spurt toward the end. The closest two beds were finished in three days (no machines). The long beds were a bit more work as I mixed in 300 liters of mulch in each bed. Over the next week I ended up digging three small beds next in the grass "square" in the foreground. Giving a total of about 30 m² of bare soil.
Day 3: About to finish the first bed (approx. 3x3 m). The last of the sod has been turned, all remaining is to scrape the last soil into the last trench.
Former lecturer/researcher specializing in atmosphere/ocean modeling, natural hazards and disasters. Currently working full time as a teacher. Mostly toots about vegetables.
Generalistic and moderated instance. All opinions are welcome, but hate speeches are prohibited. Users who don't respect rules will be silenced or suspended, depending on the violation severity.