okay so here's a weird question. scott mccloud's "big triangle"— wordsonplay.com/2009/10/the-bi is there a general term for this kind of thing? a space with extremes where items in the space are annotated with illustrations/representations whose position in the space corresponds to the extent to which the properties at the extremes describe them?

@aparrish en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_ ? In more than three dimensions, i think you need the shape. But it has the propertty of giving you a space you can average or interpolate across.

@ansate oh that's close! hmm. maybe I'm just looking for a word for "scatter plots where the points are illustrations of the individual data"


@aparrish @ansate color spaces are illustrated in this manner en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_

People who study and work with color and images loooove to use specific terms for all kinds of specialized concepts and elements (pixels, gamuts, primaries, etc.), so I think if there was a word in English for “scatter plot where data points are illustrations” they would use it. Instead they call those color graphs, color space diagrams or color volumes.

Sign in to participate in the conversation

Generalistic and moderated instance. All opinions are welcome, but hate speeches are prohibited. Users who don't respect rules will be silenced or suspended, depending on the violation severity.