Fresh Wayland rant
C++, the language so readable that every character has to be scanned averagely 7 times by the compiler. Even computers have to bend backwards to parse it, now throw humans into the loop an hilarity ensues.
Dear cash-strapped municipalities struggling with how to fill a recently-vacated plinth: kindly consider an attractive and cost effective replica of the monolith from '2001'
* represents human progress
* can scale to any size or budget
* unlikely to piss anyone in particular off
* encourages use of basic tools, space exploration
Is there a good term which distinguishes a general-purpose OS (Unix, Windows, Plan 9, etc) from operating systems like Android, iOS, Windows RT, etc? The term "operating system" is being overloaded to ship systems which are really more of a graphical shell than a classical operating system. The moves to lock down operating systems, ostensibly made for "security" reasons but conveniently centralizing power and authority with the vendor at the same time, are being marketed to consumers as the same kind of product as a conventional operating system while in fact being profoundly different.
Surveillance capitalism is the same as climate change, but for data:
- Some people have been warning about its consequences for years
- Most people don't care because they don't feel concerned, they can't see it affecting them
- A few companies are making a lot of damage with the help of governments
- When we will face the consequences it will be too late
- We can still do something about it, and the sooner the better
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!