Dear cash-strapped municipalities struggling with how to fill a recently-vacated plinth: kindly consider an attractive and cost effective replica of the monolith from '2001'
* represents human progress
* can scale to any size or budget
* unlikely to piss anyone in particular off
* encourages use of basic tools, space exploration
Is there a good term which distinguishes a general-purpose OS (Unix, Windows, Plan 9, etc) from operating systems like Android, iOS, Windows RT, etc? The term "operating system" is being overloaded to ship systems which are really more of a graphical shell than a classical operating system. The moves to lock down operating systems, ostensibly made for "security" reasons but conveniently centralizing power and authority with the vendor at the same time, are being marketed to consumers as the same kind of product as a conventional operating system while in fact being profoundly different.
Surveillance capitalism is the same as climate change, but for data:
- Some people have been warning about its consequences for years
- Most people don't care because they don't feel concerned, they can't see it affecting them
- A few companies are making a lot of damage with the help of governments
- When we will face the consequences it will be too late
- We can still do something about it, and the sooner the better
Writing A Wayland Compositor In Rust by Simon Heath: https://wiki.alopex.li/WritingAWaylandCompositorInRust #Rust #graphics
Why we at $FAMOUS_COMPANY Switched to $HYPED_TECHNOLOGY https://saagarjha.com/blog/2020/05/10/why-we-at-famous-company-switched-to-hyped-technology/
Announcing the SourceHut project hub 🎉
I don't usually explicitly ask for shares, but this is a big deal for SourceHut - the project hub solves one of our major goals for the alpha. Please help spread the word ❤️
37 minutes in and this talk gets more and more right
I think the fediverse represents a reclamation of the internet by the people on it, away from the coroproations which try to steal it. We can have a second golden age.
Reject the capitalist internet, bring back the friendly neighborhood internet. Get your friends on here.
Don't be afraid to get weird with it. Let's get even weirder. And let's do it on _our_ platforms. The internet belongs to us.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!