I've set up authentication via DKIM, SPF and DMARC and Google itself says their checks for them pass.
I've verified that my IP isn't on any blacklists and I've set up my emails on Google postmaster tools.
I've contacted @email@example.com twice to report the problem, no feedback whatsoever
@Google@twitter.com Update on my struggle to get my emails delivered to Gmail.
Based on a tip from @ij, I've configured Postfix to use IPv4 when sending to Gmail.
Since then I've successfully sent two emails to Gmail addresses.
Fingers crossed that this fixes it for good.
@jcbrand I'm curious why Google is bouncing your emails. I've had a slightly similar problem months ago for one of the servers of my work. No more bouncing after adding SPF and DMARC records, and checking them.
Thanks, all that's been checked and is OK.
@jcbrand - are you delivering it via IPv6? Usually I‘ve less problems by just delivering via IPv4 to Google.
Another thought of mine would be to just refuse accepting incoming mails because of their broken mail setup of Google.
I don't have IPv6 disabled, so I think it's definitely possible that it's being used. Will double check.
@jcbrand - you don't need to disable IPv6 at all... in my mailserver setup I've added a domain list for ipv4_only and a matching router/transport for it... If you're using Postfix, I'm sure it should be possible to do something similar there...
I've configured postfix to use IPv4 for Gmail.
So far so good, two emails have been sent out successfully.
Hopefully it continues to work.
Thanks for the tip!
@jcbrand - you're welcome!
Be aware that there are other domains that are using Gmail servers, so you might need to adapt the list of hosts/domains. Sadly I've found no setting in Exim that tells it to use the MX records a criteria for ipv4 or not. Maybe Postfix has something...
But in the end, Googles mailserver are broken in some regard and it doesn't mean that IPv4 will always work like that. Avoiding/refusing Gmail at all is the only sane way, I think...
@ij yes I already added other domains that use Google.
Unfortunately refusing to communicate with people who use Gmail isn't a realistic option.
@jcbrand did you checked your maild logs to looks for the exact answer it gets when it tries contact google's server ? Usually with the 5xx answer there is also the reason.
Yes I've done that, the error code is 550-5.7.28 which comes up in very few search results.
They somehow classify me as a bulk sender. So you'd naturally think my server has been hacked and is sending spam.
I'm not on any spam blacklists however and I don't see anything fishy in the logs.
@jcbrand it may be some missing header google expect to find, or blank subject/body. cannot think of other reasons, besides from your IP really sending more emails. Lemme know if you solved, I'm curious about it!
Thanks. It's none of those, it's for 95% of the emails I and my family members send, and it's only the last 3 weeks. For 6 years before that I haven't had any problems.
@jcbrand Oh! Pretty sure some new "protection" filters they did put on their side, then. You still can use relay server, aka tell your server to use another server (as example, the one provided by your ISP) to relay mails to certain domains. I did had issues alike yours in the past, and solved that way.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll consider it, but currently I'm thinking of just going to a paid provider and be done with self-hosting.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!